Pre-acceptance healthcare waste self-audit tool
This self-audit tool has been produced by Clinical Waste Solutions Ltd, and is designed to assist our customers in completing the pre-acceptance requirements for waste disposal.
Many legally authorised clinical waste disposal facilities, including both incinerators, treatment plants and landfill sites, are now required to obtain this information from their customers before they can accept your waste. You should complete this form to assist us in disposing of your waste.
How do I do it?
The most effective way is to do all of the following:
- Check each room of your establishment and see what waste containers are present;
- Look in each in use waste container to see what is actually in them (this should be done visually, without putting your hands inside the containers);
- Question your staff about how they would dispose of different items (understanding and practice can vary);
- It is also worthwhile checking your storerooms and cupboards to see if there are any pieces of equipment or reagents that you may not have considered.
You should send the completed audit to Clinical Waste Solutions Ltd. They will assess the information and use this information to advise you on completion of waste documentation, ensure that your waste is disposed of appropriately, and provide additional advice on some aspects of your waste practices if necessary.
What is the purpose of the Pre-Acceptance Self Audit?
The main purpose of this tool is to enable you and CWS Ltd to identify the appropriate way to manage your waste. If there are any areas of concern the audit tool will identify it. Appropriate waste segregation has been a legal requirement since 2005. However, no waste segregation system operates perfectly all the time. Regularly auditing your procedures enables you to identify and address any issues.
Once completed, audit renewal frequency will depend on your business sectors’ requirements. These include:
- Doctors/GP surgeries – every 5 years
- Dentists/veterinary/research labs – every 2 years
- Other healthcare involving no doctors/hospitals – every 5 years
- Community pharmacies – every 5 years
- Care homes providing nursing or medical care – every 5 Years
- Other healthcare not included in the above, producing <5tonnes pa – every 5 years